The American Dental Association (ADA) indicates that both electric and manual toothbrushes are effective at removing plaque that cause decay and other diseases. However, an electric toothbrush offers many benefits in addition to a manual brush.
Benefits of an Electric Toothbrush
1) More Effective at Removing Plaque – The electric toothbrush bristles’ rotation and/or vibration help to remove plaque buildup from your teeth and gums. The vibration creates more movement every time you glide your toothbrush across your teeth. Recent studies have shown that after three months of use, plaque was reduced by 21% and gingivitis by 11% over using a manual toothbrush.
2) Easier for People with Limited Mobility – If you are a person the suffers from limited mobility due to carpal tunnel, arthritis, or various other conditions; an electronic toothbrush may be helpful since it does most of the work for you. Electric toothbrush models can complete thousands, to even tens of thousands, of movements within a single minute.
3) Built-in Timers – An electronic toothbrush takes the guesswork out of how long you should be brushing. Using the brush’s timer ensures that you’re brushing long enough to remove plaque from your teeth and gums.
4) Better for Orthodontic Appliances – Electric toothbrushes can make brushing easier and more effective for people who wear orthodontic appliances like braces. They’re ideal because they easily clean out food and bacteria trapped around brackets, elastics, and even under wires.
5) Kids Have More Fun – Electronic toothbrushes aren’t just for adults. Kids love them too! If your child isn’t brushing completely or for long enough each time, an electronic toothbrush may be what’s needed to engage your child and establish healthy habits for the future.
If you’re considering an electronic toothbrush or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call my office at 828.631.3283 or request an appointment online.
David S. McGuire, DDS