Here’s some important information you should know.
Veneers are an excellent way to improve the appearance of your smile. We’ve gathers some information to help you better decide if this cosmetic treatment is right for you.
What is a Dental Veneer?
Veneers are a thin layer that is placed on the surface of your tooth. Veneers can be used to:
- Whiten smiles
- Align uneven teeth
- Re-shape teeth
- Protect the surface of damaged teeth
- Repair chips and fractures
- Close tooth gaps
Are You A Candidate?
Veneers aren’t the right solution in every situation. In some cases, there are other treatment options that may better address your concern. The following factors are considered when determining your eligibility:
- Your oral health
- Teeth must be functionally or aesthetically suitable
- Your level of commitment – The tooth preparation procedure is permanent.
- Teeth must be strong enough to withstand the process.
- Can a less-invasive procedures address the problem?
Types of Veneers
There are 3 major types of veneers, each with unique attributes. We will help you determine which is the best option for you based on the condition of your teeth and your desired results.
Porcelain – Porcelain veneers are thin ceramic shells that are custom made from impressions of your teeth. They are bonded on the front of the tooth to improve appearance.
- Long lasting (typically 10-20 years)
- Strong and durable
- Natural looking
- Application can be uncomfortable and requires anesthesia
- Although chips and cracks are rare, they are more difficult to repair
- Reshaping of teeth is irreversible
Lumineers – Lumineers are the thinnest veneer option (similar thickness as a contact lens)
- No grinding required
- Pain free
- Can last 20 years or more
- More likely to detach after treatment
- Less opaque and thus more likely for original tooth discoloration to show through.
Composite (Bonded) – Composite is a resin that is brushed on to the tooth, then hardened under UV light and polished.
- Less expensive
- Less damage to the teeth
- Chips and stains are easily repairable
- Only last 5-10 years
- More prone to chipping and staining
Speak with Us
Veneers are an excellent way to dramatically improve the appearance of your smile. But there are many factors to consider if they are right for you. To get personalized advice and information, call us today at 828.631.3283. We will assess the condition of your teeth and discuss how each option may or may not suit your needs.